We recently launched GreyAtom, an immersive learning program for engineers with our flagship program in Data Science. We are bringing classroom-based learning with the strong online component to ensure the quality of the program. Why did we decide to start GreyAtom?
Let me start with my background:
- I’ve completed BE from Mumbai University and then MS in Computer Science from SUNY Binghamton (New York). I have worked with corporate in India and then have worked with Yahoo! in Sunnyvale, Bay area. I have experience working and studying in India as well as in the US.
- After my stint with Yahoo! I moved to India to build my startup Customer360, which eventually got acquired by Interactive Intelligence (NASDAQ: ININ)
- During Customer360 I and my co-founder Mayuresh Shilotri (IIT-M Graduate) went through the biggest pain of our life — to build a quality engineering team. It took us a lot of time to build engineering talent. During the process of building the team & interviewing freshers/working professionals, we learned a lot of things — some of them are listed below:
Problem with existing Eco-System in India
- Engineering education is too theoretical. We waste 3 to 4 years to get a degree which hardly adds any industry knowledge. I faced the same situation 10 years back when I graduated — Unfortunately, it’s still the same.
- Most of the Private Institutes are in the business of selling certification. They pick buzz words like Data Science, Digital Marketing etc. and make money in the name of certification.
- Most of the engineers are still away from real industry tools and practices (test driven development, code versioning, pair programming, working with cloud etc).
- We still follow rules like — you need 60% aggregate to participate in campus placement. Because of such rules, students are crazy to score percentage rather than gaining some real knowledge.
After the acquisition of my previous company Customer360 & some break, we planned to start up again. We started thinking about the same problem — “How can we bring quality to the engineering?” and GreyAtom was born.
Core Principles and Differentiator of GreyAtom
- Practice-Based Education — We want students to work on real tools and real-world problems during the program. Our focus is on building stuff and NOT CERTIFICATION.
- Focus on Industry Readiness — Our focus is on making our student’s industry ready. Our training platform “Commit.live” helps students build their profile on relevant platforms (GitHub, StackOverflow, Tech Blog) which are far more valuable than any certifications.
- Real Office Environment — We want to go away from classic “Coaching Institute” mentality. We want to mimic real industry experience throughout the program. Students will be working in an office environment.
- Quality EcoSystem — Our program is designed by the mix of industry practitioners and academician. All our instructors are people with hands-on experience and who have built some kick-ass stuff. We have an interview process before we enroll a student. Idea is to build a qualitative ecosystem of experts and enthusiasts.
Our Data Science Program
- We have a separate track for freshers and working professionals. For freshers, there is a significant pre-work required before the start of the program.
- We have designed our program by interviewing 50+ Data Science heads of various companies. We also take continuous feedback from our premium community of data scientists (www.meetup.com/DataGiri/) which is now 4000 members strong.
- We already have some great industry partners on board with some really cool problem statements. Please visit an industry project section on our program page to get more details — Full Stack Data Science Engineering | Greyatom
- We want to ensure that you should be able to write production-grade data science applications by end of the program. We cover end to end cycle of data science application which starts from the foundation (Python / Data Science) and ends with cloud deployment on AWS and scaling your Data Science app.
Job Placements — BEWARE
- My personal opinion — Do not join any program if they give “Job Guarantee”. Always evaluate what you are going to learn. Think of it as an investment in yourself.
- GreyAtom does not guarantee the job. We do guarantee knowledge and high-quality ecosystem. We do guarantee real industry partners who want to hire if you work hard and show them what you can do.
- We are committed to giving absolute best from our end to help you achieve your objective of joining the program.
For the fact, India produces the highest number of engineering in the world and over 80% of them are unemployable. We are here to change that.
Just to conclude, do not think GreyAtom as any other course, that’s not what we are trying to build. It’s an eco-system which helps improve industry readiness and quality of engineers.
Feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or +91 7977015952 for any further questions.